Moscow, ID asked in Adoption, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Idaho

Q: If cps hasn't shown up, and if the police have ignored all reports of my friends abuse, what other options do they have?

My friend is a 13 year old, soon to be 14 living in moscow idaho, and they have been experiencing terrible physical abuse, emotional abuse, and general neglect from their mother for a while now. Me, a friend, and a staff at the local youth center have all reached out to cps and police, but nothing has happened and my friend has tried talking to school districts (they previously lived in california and michigan, both of which never had cps talk with them, or had police show up). I have tried talking with Alternatives to Violence on The Palouse, but there has never been a good time for me to call, plus I get call anxiety. I just want to know the options, because we are getting desperate and I am terrified of loosing him.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: ONE thing you can NOT do, is take the law into your own hands. IF you try to take your friend away from the abuse, you will be arrested, and I'm sure you know that. However, you could convince your friend to go with you to the police to report the abuse he's been suffering. That might be the best way for you to handle this. Good Luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.