Alexandria, VA asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: Can I lose my green card if I got it through my mother and she commits a crime (not immigration fraud)

My father and I got our green cards through my mother legally. If my mother commits a crime such as a larceny and gets deported, will my father and I lose our green cards as well since we got them through her? I'm not asking about an immigration crime , we got our green cards without any fraud. But what about other kinds of crimes? Will my father and I be affected as well?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: No, ‘unless’ either of you are accused of being a part of the criminal scheme. If so, you can be charged, indicted, arrested, and possibly convicted. That may get you deported!

If your mother is involved in a crime, you ‘do not’ have an affirmative responsibility to report her to police. However, if she is arrested, you may be accused of participating or furthering the crime. That means that you must decide how and whether she needs to leave.

If there are irreconcilable differences, then you and your dad ought to decide whether you need an order of protection to get her out of the apartment/house if she is verbally or physically abusive, makes violent threats, and refuses to stop.

You ought to seek help from a divorce attorney or police depending upon whether the situation is dangerous.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.