Dryden, WA asked in Employment Law for Washington

Q: Washington being an at will fire state, if fired can you sue an employer that hasnt fired someone for something greater?

Specifically, an employee has been caught passed out drunk during food service at a retirement home. For whatever reason he was taken off the schedule for two or three days, then returned to work. Im just curious if by not firing this person over a very major offense is there grounds for someone in the future to sue the company if theyve been let go for a lesser reason, say tardiness or dress code violations.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Unfortunately, each case is fact specific and it is impossible to give meaningful advice without knowing more factual context. In general, if you were let go for being 3 minutes late, while someone else was allowed to stay though they were passed out drunk at work, it would certainly raise questions that need further investigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.