Middletown, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: How do I file a counter claim in Monmouth County NJ in small claims court? I'm unable to locate the correct form.

I'm a defendant in a small claims case (New Jersey - $3,000) with a plumber. I want to file a counter claim contesting the original issue, but also file a claim for separate issues for a higher $$ value of approximately $6,000. These additional issues include violations to the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, damage to my house, and incomplete work. Thanks

2 Lawyer Answers
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It would be a better practice if you retained the services of an attorney. If you were to be successful in your counterclaim for consumer fraud violation, you will awarded attorney's fees.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You really need to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney who has significant experience handling cases this type of case. With modern technology, there are no geographic boundaries that you prevent you from getting best possible attorney that you can afford.

H. Scott Aalsberg agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.