Titusville, FL asked in Education Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Florida

Q: Was hit in high school by driver I walking n park lot. 1992 I was 15 yrs old. My parents sued but wrote letter to Judge

And became trustees of my settlement. I lost my right foot it was screwed and bolted on and I had 4 back surgery since then. I never got a penny. My dad has property and Maks $ of me now while I'm on SSD AND FOOD STAMPS. WHAT CAN I DO

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Because you were a minor at the time, someone(s) had to be trustee(s) until you would turn 18, unless some other legal arrangement was made for them to be trustees until a later age. In the meantime, the trustees had the duty to spend the money for your benefit, so the first issue is: did they do so, and if so, were the funds totally used up? Missing from your inquiry is your parents' reasons provided to you as to why there are no funds left, and whether you ever requested the financial records for the expenditures. They may or may not have had legitimate reasons to sap the funds. But let's assume they did not, that they instead used the funds solely for their own personal benefit. The issue to be examined then would be the applicable statute of limitations to bring suit against your parents and, if the limitations period has expired, whether there any factors to support tolling (postponing) of the period. You cannot obtain a professional opinion on that issue through an on-line inquiry. You must schedule a consultation with an attorney, and if you cannot afford that (likely at least a few hundred dollars), determine if you can obtain advice from your local Legal Aid/Legal Services office the serves low- and no-income persons. Also, the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service has a low-fee panel of attorneys, so you might want to try that service (which may or may not be able to locate an attorney for your situation).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.