Greenville, TX asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Employment Law for Texas

Q: Fired using false civil charge & denied due process-14th Amndmt?Is this like Gideon v Wainwright for Automatic Lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Gideon v. Wainwright holds that an indigent defendant accused of a serious crime has the right to a court-appointed attorney at the state's expense.

The right of an indigent person to a court-appointed attorney at the state's expense in a civil case is much more narrow.

Since you are talking about Due Process in the context of employment, that suggests that you were a public employee. Depending on what governmental agency employed you, you may be entitled to a union representative, ombudsman, or other advocate to assist you in protesting your termination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.