Sacramento, CA asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Probate and Estate Planning for Nevada

Q: I'm only child father passed away June 2022 he was unmarried has property in Nevada who has control over the house?

Relatives are living there rent free because of health issues. I want to store my dad's belongings there and they are telling me there is no room. I've heard my uncle is going to try and get it. What can I do or where do I start? There is no will. Do I have any authority at all? Please help

1 Lawyer Answer
Delwyn E. Webber
Delwyn E. Webber
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Firstly, sorry for your loss.

Based upon what you have said, the house and dad's other assets will become yours as an only child, however the assets will most likely have to go through probate to become yours. You should consult with an attorney soon regarding opening a probate action to take control of those assets, as you are the preferred Administrator over your uncle, and the heir to the estate.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.