Tacoma, WA asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Civil Rights for Washington

Q: Do I have to petition to get my gun rights back in Washington state if a DV misdemeanor charge was dismissed?

The case was dismissed via pre-trial diversion agreement. No prior record in any state before or since. No order of protection nor under any investigations. This happened two years ago and the case was dismissed in 2021

1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: A pretrial diversion agreement typically does not involve any finding or conviction. Because your case remained in pretrial status and was ultimately dismissed you will not lose your right to possess firearms as a result of entering into the agreement. You may want to confirm that your case was actually dismissed and not amended down to another offense that would also trigger the loss of right to possess firearms.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.