Oakland, CA asked in Car Accidents for California

Q: My insurance company interviewed my friend who was undergoing chemo treatments and not of sound mind. Is this legal?

My friend and I owe Amica car insurance company $8,758.62 because my insurance at the time illegally dropped my case and subsequently dropped my account after an interview they conducted where my friend was not in sound mind to participate in the interview. Can a lawyer help get this payment reduced?

The insurance company I had at the time was Western General. After attempting to interview the driver (who was undergoing chemo at the time) over the phone and asking him to confirm he understood questions they were asking (he said several times he did not understand and they continued with the interview), they went on to drop the case and dissolve my account leaving me having to pay Amica Insurance the money. Also both of our driver’s licenses have been suspended starting Dec. 21st 2022 due to this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronnie Kashri
Ronnie Kashri
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You will need a competent lawyer to review all the facts and details of your claim, including the reason(s) your insurance company dropped your case in order to find out if your insurance company wrongfully and/or unreasonably dropped your case. This would also determine if you have a case against your insurance company to potentially compel them to pay the claim on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.