Sulligent, AL asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Divorce for South Carolina

Q: What if the petitioner was the actual person doing the abusing?

My wife has placed a order of protection on me and she is the real abuser in our home. I have all of our email and text messages that we have exchanged between us while we were fighting. She is a verbal abuser, and she is also quite possibly a Narcissist also. The judge even gave her the question in front of me at my hearing, of whether she wanted a six month or a year protection order and she didn't hesitate! She had even lied under oath. Now she is calling me but not but not long enough each time for me to answer the call. She has been putting my oldest son to asking me if he and his sister and brother can " hangout" with me! She has no limits to her cruelty because she knows if I don't have the court saying so, I would be arrested. So she text me from his phone and I know its her because my son doesn't use " choppy " English. What can I do to stop this evil woman from abusing my children and me? She has been able to access my bank account and wipe everything I have out. HELP!

1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your best course of action is to seek the advice of a divorce lawyer who has experience dealing with abusive situations and orders of protection. However, you should note that "verbal abuse" is not a ground for divorce or basis for issuance of an order of protection in South Carolina.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.