Los Angeles, CA asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California

Q: Sensitive question. Please don’t remove because it’s literally a life or death situation.

Sensitive question. Please don’t remove because it’s literally a life or death situation.

I dated someone ( a franchisor ) of a multimillion dollar company that deals with children. One day I walked in on him raping a 9 year old . I reported him but I wasn’t taken seriously.he said I was a jealous ex . I’ve tried reporting him so he can be investigated but now he’s filed for defamation. What options do I have?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lyndsie Nichole Russell
Lyndsie Nichole Russell
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have been served with the complaint, you should hire an attorney immediately. There is a limited time for you to respond to the complaint. If you do not respond within the timeframe, a default can be taken against you which cuts off your ability to defend the lawsuit. An experienced attorney can help you fight the defamation allegation, any privileges that apply for reporting a crime, and advise you on reporting the rape to law enforcement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.