Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

California Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: How do I file a suit for racial profiling against a retail chain?

The situation was that I walked into my local Rite Aid to return two items that I had purchased. I presented the item to the clerk. The items that I purchased was by one and get the second for free. After scanning the first item, I was told by the clerk that the item had already been returned. When... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jul 24, 2019

There is nothing indicating racial profiling

Q: Type of attorney for harmful rx practices of 2 doctors, severe brain injuries by hospitals refusal to care

Permanently disabled prior to incidentd. Severe losses. Cause involves 1 of 2 drs already prosecuted by state of CA medical board, san diego hospital refusal to care, sheriff refusal to report . kidnapped from ER taken by ambulatory delivery to a border naval hospital, refused to treat acute... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 14, 2019

More info needed.

for negligence by a doctor or medical providers you would want a med mal atty

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for California on

Q: I would like to know if a driver is at fault for hitting a pedestrian turning out into traffic.

I am a 17 year old son of a mother who had recently been in a collision with a minor on a bike. The minor turned in front of her vehicle -while she turned into the lane she had waited legally for traffic to allow- from the blind spot made by an adjacent vehicle the minor was biking next to. The boy... Read more »

William John Light answered on Jul 9, 2019

No one could make a guess about who is at fault without reviewing all of the available evidence. However, fault isn't all or nothing. Everyone might have some proportional fault.

Your mother's insurance company owes her a defense and indemnity. It will appoint an attorney to defend her...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: I live in CA. While I was at work animal control came to my house and took my dogs out of my backyard.

They left a tag on my door and on the tag it said I hadn’t given my dogs food or water in days. That was a lie. I feed them and gave them water before I went to work.

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 23, 2019

Thanks for venting as there is o question

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: what can i do to cease and desist harassment from a sibling?

I have a sibling whos been harassing me 10+ yrs she is making false police reports death threats aginst me to my kids, malice slandering (defamation of character). threats to my kids saying shes gonna have me in jail for life kill me etc Cant hold a job im so stressed I need a attorney but im a... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on May 28, 2019



1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for California on

Q: legally pursue an employer for telling a customer your autistic to fix a bad yelp review and then it being put on yelp?

The customer then updated yelp review saying that I have autism if that makes sense. would it be legally actionable because it is libel? I dont have autism my employer literally just made that up so the person would edit their review and now people in my town believe I have autism. Is this... Read more »

Neil Pedersen answered on Apr 18, 2019

Perhaps yes. It is slander for one person to tell another a knowingly false statement of past or present fact that causes damage to the reputation of another. If you can establish actual injury as a result of this untruth about you, you might have a meritorious legal claim against the employer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California on

Q: I rented a car and it was two days past due and the owner stole the car while i was at a friends, and it had $1900 cash

And several other expwnsive articles. When i went to ask for my peoperty he refused to give it to me unril i paid him $780. Is this legal?

Dale S. Gribow answered on Apr 8, 2019

more info needed.

was this a car rental agency or a private persons vehicle.

certainly looks like they took the law into their own hands.

if they acknowledge your property is in there you are lucky. They could easily say there was nothing in the car.

this is so small...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: i need a pro bono atty who can do a defamation of character and libel suit against an abusive ex partner.

slander, threats, harassment, verbal and mental abuse

Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 21, 2019

more info needed but we don't do pro bono.

you need to inquire from a lawyer in your community.

try legal aid society.

however, those suits are very difficult as it is usually hard to prove how you were damaged.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander, Real Estate Law and Contracts for California on

Q: Are there Attorneys who take clients who have communication disabilities? It is a complicated tenant lanlord case.

How does one ever find an Attorney if they have communication disabilities? I would be the plaintiff and have a strong and complicated tenant landlord case. But I have communication disabilities making it difficult explaining to an Attorney what has happened. Just this question took me a very long... Read more »

Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 30, 2019

You could contact the State Bar of California, which has an attorney referral service. You could check with them if they are able to identify attorneys under these attributes. If you are able to conduct independent searches on your own (you mention the difficulty of doing this) or with the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: Can I sue a major hotel chain for damages i did not do but was still charged for?

I was at a Holiday Inn for two weeks. One night I ran a bath and fell asleep for 10 minutes. It over flowed and and soaked the carpet. The next day the manager told me it looked liked there was no damages. I was there for another week with no mention of it. When I flew home I see they charged my... Read more »

William John Light answered on Dec 2, 2018

Small Claims is your best bet.

View More Answers

Q: Can I sue my previous employer for harassment and emotional distress?

Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 7, 2018

Much more info needed.

How long ago did this happen and when did you leave and under what circumstances.

You need to contact a labor law attorney.

This is not an area of law that i handle.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: A possible case of extortion and defamation?

I had a former client that never paid on time. She would pay in weird increments way after the due date. Moreover, she would praise us when we helped her daughter accomplish high standards. Yet, she hardly ever picked up and dropped off her child on time. I had to cancel a few, but not many... Read more »

William John Light answered on Oct 17, 2018

It's possible. Defamation is a false statement of fact. Negative opinions are not defamation. It depends what she said and how it compares to the truth.

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury, Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for California on

Q: i moved inw my bf when my mom passed bc no where to go. hes now sabotaging car #3 no hard proof though

hes already been to jail for being abusive. i do have proof of him telling one person who slashed my tires he was glad she **cked up my car. he knows i have no help and no where else to go. he is insane and my only hope is my car to get away from here but hes ruinging it on purpose. i dont... Read more »

William John Light answered on Oct 6, 2018

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: I was terminated as an EMT/ Ambulance operator for a private ambulance company for being wrongfully accused

I was fired on the 31st of August as an EMT/ ambulance operator from Premier Medical Transportation in the city of in Colton, Ca. Which covers the County of Riverside for being accused of not being in uniform while on duty at a Hospital and for "not wanting to drive". I have witness statements... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Sep 9, 2018

This needs to be asked of employment/labor law Atty

I’m on list for Accident and DUI

I would think they are clearly wrong in terminating you and they expose themselves to liability if get in an accident because of the lack of breaks

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for California on

Q: My husband passed away, what is my best approach on retrieving my husbands car from the mistress?

My husband passed away (intestate, not in Probate) June 2018, we have 3 kids together, after his DOD, I ran a check on his vehicle title confirming that his name was solely on the Title. After the 40 day lapse, I went to the DMV with the Death Certificate & filled out the required forms, just to... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 20, 2018

more info needed

did your husband transfer title to her?

if not, did she forge his signature? if that is the case you may have to report to police.

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for California on

Q: I am currently homeless and someone impersonated a fake person with a fake charity claiming they are going’s to help me.

A lady called me stating she’s was from a charity that come to find out is not real. Stating she will help me get housing and therapy etc because I am pretty much homeless , depressed and left abuse . I have figured out who it was. What legally can I do ?

William John Light answered on Jun 16, 2018

Call the police. Impersonating a charity may be a crime, although the person may actually have been trying to help you. You don't have a lawsuit. You have not been injured or harmed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for California on

Q: My co worker posted something in social media accussing me of vandalizing his vehicle at work, including deregatory

comments. We both have a healthcare license. I msg him hoping to remove the comment but he never did

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 7, 2018

You should contact a lawyer qualified to handle defamation matters.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for California on

Q: What happens if a social media account with no personal info is threatened to be sued by a corporation?

If the account has no information pertaining to the admin who runs it, and a cease and desist email is recieved, and the account does not cease, what course of action can a corperation take against aforementioned admin if they do not have access to the personal info of the admin.

Gerald Barry Dorfman answered on Jun 5, 2018

If there are grounds to file suit, a lawsuit can be filed, naming "Doe" defendants. With the proper foundation, a subpoena can be served on the social media company to reveal the account holder's information. Then the account holder can be added into the lawsuit. Note, a corporation can not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for California on

Q: What are my rights? I wrote a bad review of a book and now the author is threatening to sue me - can he do that?

Andy Chen answered on Jun 3, 2018

Anyone can sue anyone else for anything. Without knowing what you said, what the author is threatening you with, etc, there is no way to answer the question of what you can or can't do if you are actually sued. It all depends.

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander for California on

Q: I filed an aka name 31 yrs ago, which I never used. Can anybody use that aka name filing to blackmail me, or extort me?

It was an aka name I filed as a joke/mistake, checking the box on the form that I intended to marry a celebrity. It was rescinded a few months later. I was harassed so severely over it, that I sued the celebrity and they filed court documents that they didn't know me, and that there was never any... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on May 16, 2018

much more info is needed.

you should contact a civil lawyer though many will charge for a consultation

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.