Chatsworth, CA asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Construction Law for California

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need to hire?

I was served a lis pendens for something my contractor told me I didn't need to pay for. The manufacturer of the solar panels served me for non-payment, but I was advised by my contractor not to worry. I want to hire someone to protect myself and my house

1 Lawyer Answer
James A. Greer
James A. Greer
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in California

A: Dear Client with recorded Lis Pendens: To answer the question "what kind of lawyer" that you need, the answer is: a construction litigation lawyer. I am concerned on your behalf when you mention that the Solar Panel supplier "served me for non-payment" - this connotes that you were served a LAWSUIT, correct ? Therefore, if you took the "advice" of your Contractor and didn't respond to the litigation timely, you may be facing a Default Judgment. I would urge you to get an understanding of the status of that lawsuit and try and put a stop to any sort of default against you. Lastly, it seems that your Contractor needs to also be contacted to see what, if anything, they are doing to defend you from the Mechanic's Lien pursuit by the Solar Company. SUMMARY: my advice is that you please seek legal counsel right away. JAMES GREER

Joshua D. Brysk and Yelena Gurevich agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.