Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Child custody and support questions well after a divorce

My fiancé has 50-50 custody for his children he got divorced several years ago and this has been the ongoing situation since the separation. This year she quit her job of 20 years and has not seeked employment since. She is now looking to take my fiancé back to court and fight for full custody and child support what are our options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Timesharing and child support are modifiable until the children turn eighteen. To modify child support you have to show a change in the parent's income that was out of their control. If a parent just decides not to work the court will presume (impute) the income that they were earning. Regarding timesharing, a parent must show an unanticipated substantial change in circumstances and that a change is in the best interests of the children. If a parent has been following the timesharing plan it probably won't be easy to modify. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.