Seattle, WA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Washington

Q: personal injury complaint filed against city jail, trial set but lawyer quits- does statute of limitations date change?

Complaint for personal injury filed in Wa State King County Superior Court, (previously filed in federal court on civil right violations) before Covid in 2019, no progress for 2 years. Depositions began in 2022 and trial date set, then lawyer withdraws only months before trial. Does the original statute of limitations change or is it effected by court activity? Basically, I want to know if there would still be enough time to find other representation or will it be too late.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak
  • Tukwila, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The statute of limitations doesn't change, but you should ask the defense counsel to agree to a change in the trial date. Defense attorneys are usually happy to delay proceedings. If not, the Court is usually pretty understanding. Just make sure you haven't passed the deadline for adjusting the trial date.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.