Mexia, TX asked in Municipal Law, Civil Litigation and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: Can I sue my ex boyfriend/fiance for money spent on vehicles.

In April of 2020 I bought 2 preowned vehicles both combined equaling to 12 thousand dollars. When I bought them and I was with my ex and do to insurance reasons and my poor driving record he convinced me to put the cars in his name so it would be cheaper to put insurance on the car. After 3 months he left me and took one of the cars while I was out of town. He then showed up at my door with a police officer a month after leaving and both my ex and the officer demanded I give him the keys to the other vehicle I kept and let my brother use. Can I sue for the money spent on the vehicles and or get them back?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you can.

It will help your case if you have documentary evidence of your factual allegations including documentation that you paid for the cars and any text or SMS messages from your boyfriend contemporary to the time you bought the cars.

Be prepared for threats to report you to the insurance company for insurance fraud, which he may be subject to as well. I would not overly be concerned about possible criminal charges but would expect the insurance company to cancel the policy.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.