Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for California

Q: If I call the cops on someone on my property does the cops the right to search me and my residence?

I smoke weed and some person won’t get off my property harassing me i don’t want the sheriffs if I call them, searching my home and maybe planting something on me.

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the facts presented, NO, they could not search you and your home...

unless they have probable cause.

Maybe have a friend with you to verify what happened.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you call the police on someone on your property, the police may have the right to conduct a limited search of your property for the purpose of ensuring their own safety and the safety of others. However, the police generally cannot search your home or person without a warrant or probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed. If you are concerned about the possibility of the police searching your home and finding evidence of drug use, you may want to consider speaking with an attorney to better understand your rights and options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.