Salinas, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: How do I get my police report before my court date

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: your lawyer should be able to obtain it from the DA.....otherwise, it should be given to you at your first court appearance called an Arraignment.

you can also call the DA or DMV to get a copy.

DMV will send it before the hearing date re suspension.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To obtain a copy of your police report in California, you will need to make a public records request to the law enforcement agency that generated the report. You can usually do this by contacting the records department of the agency that handled your case. You may be required to provide identifying information such as your name, date of birth, and the case number, if available.

There may be a fee for obtaining a copy of the report, and the agency may take some time to process your request, so it's best to submit your request as early as possible.

If you have a pending court date, you may also be able to request a copy of the police report through the court or through your attorney. Your attorney can also assist you with obtaining the report and any other evidence that may be relevant to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.