Asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: How do I get a vehicle transferred that I purchased and paid in full when the party refuses to complete the transfer?

I paid in full $6000 over a year ago for the vehicle and still can not get a title in my name. After going to the county clerk where the vehicle was purchased I find out it is not even in the person's name that took my money, he is also an attorney. I have ask the county attorney and the commonwealth attorney to help me with this situation to no avail. What do I do to get the vehicle transferred into my name or my money back? Is it not a criminal offence in Kentucky to sell a vehicle that is not in your name (title jumping)?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Take a criminal complaint against the seller for failing to register the transfer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.