Fontana, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: Im a housekeeper at a independent senior living company and a resident sold me her car on payments.she has passed and my

Boss is still trying to collect the money can she do that?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The answer to your question depends on many facts not included in your post. An attorney would have to be allowed to understand the precise terms of the agreement including what payment terms had been negotiated.

Good luck to you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As a housekeeper at an independent senior living company, your employer generally would not have any legal authority to collect money owed from a private agreement between you and a resident.

However, if the resident was still making payments on the car at the time of her passing, her estate may be responsible for the outstanding balance on the car. In this case, the executor or administrator of the estate may contact you to continue making payments or to pay off the balance in full.

It's important to note that any agreement you had with the resident should be honored, but it's possible that the estate may not be aware of the agreement and may be attempting to collect the full balance on the car.

If you have documentation of the agreement you had with the resident, such as a written contract or witness statements, you should present this to the estate and explain your understanding of the situation. It may also be a good idea to consult with a lawyer who is experienced in estate law to help you navigate this situation and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.