Linden, NJ asked in Family Law and Elder Law for New Jersey

Q: Office of the Public Guardian for Elderly Adults in NJ is my mom’s guardian. I don’t want this. How can I change it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) is designed to act as a surrogate decision-maker for residents of our state who are 60 years old and over, who have been deemed incapacitated by a superior court judge. When a judge deems someone incompetent to handle his / her affairs, the court then appoints a guardian and I gather in your mother's case, the court appointed OPG to act as her guardian. If you do not want OPG to be your mother's guardian, then you have the right to petition the court to change the guardianship arrangement and seek to have the court appoint you or someone else as her guardian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.