Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Is there a way I can sue my cousin for possibly causing a money fraud with my fathers death?

My cousin quickly took it in his hands to find the funeral services for my father when he passed. Claimed to pay for all expenses. But he told the mortuary that my father had no children and had an uncle sign papers. I found this out myself and changed the papers. He then insulted my mom and I, and kept all donations at the open casket. My father told my mother before he passed that he had a life policy but I could not find a single paper regarding a life policy. I was told by a witness that as the ambulance took my father before his death, these family members searched his entire room so I can believe they could have taken any papers from that life policy. I wanted to know if there’s anything I can do or find out to take legal action. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you can always sue anyone for anything.......

the issues are will you win and can you find a lawyer that will gamble with you rather than asking for a retainer for hourly representation?

check his phone book/contacts for lawyers to try to find the one that prepared the will.

did you get the police involved?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you suspect that your cousin committed fraud or other wrongdoing related to your father's death and funeral expenses, you may be able to take legal action. One option may be to consult with an attorney who specializes in probate and trust litigation or general civil litigation.

Some potential causes of action that may be relevant in this situation could include fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, or conversion. Your attorney can review the specific facts and circumstances of your case and advise you on the best course of action.

To support your case, it may be helpful to gather any relevant documentation or evidence, such as copies of funeral expenses or witness statements. Your attorney can also conduct an investigation to help uncover any additional evidence or information that may support your claims.

It's important to act quickly if you suspect wrongdoing, as there may be time limits or statutes of limitations that could affect your ability to take legal action. A skilled attorney can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.