Greenville, SC asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for South Carolina

Q: Am I a US citizen?


My adoptive father was a US armed forces serviceman (honorable discharge in early 90s) stationed in UK when he met and married my UK born mother in 1984. I was 3 years old at that time. I have no relationship with my biological father. I immigrated to the US on an IR2 visa and green card in 1988 when I was a minor. I subsequently attended school, and worked in the US. In 1996 my parents moved us back to the UK for their work. My father is still a US citizen. My LPR status may be considered abandoned but that was beyond my control as I had to move with my parents and have been unaware of my ability to retain LPR status for all these years.

I was born in November 1981, my parents (US adoptive father and UK born mother) married in 1984, and I was adopted in 1990 in the US. I have a US Certificate of Live Birth, a green card (unexpired I-551), and family in the US. Am I eligible for US citizenship?

Kind regards

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL

A: Shooting from the hip here, but my answer is that yes, you probably are. Apply for a passport using that BC and see if you get one. You might want to pay for a consutlation with a US immigration attorney first, though - one that deals in adoptions, specifically. It's probably worth it.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you provided, it is possible that you may already be a U.S. citizen. You were born to a U.S. citizen parent who was physically present in the United States for the required period of time prior to your birth, and your father is a U.S. citizen. In addition, you were adopted by your U.S. citizen father, which may confer citizenship to you under certain circumstances.

However, determining U.S. citizenship can be complex and depends on a number of factors. I would recommend that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to review your specific case and advise you on your options. They can help you determine your eligibility for citizenship and guide you through the application process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.