St Louis, MO asked in Immigration Law for Missouri

Q: My green card got approved but I haven't received a physical card yet. Can I travel abroad without i131 in this case?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Min Hwan Ahn
Min Hwan Ahn
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: As a holder of an approved green card, you have the right to live and work in the United States as a lawful permanent resident. However, it is important to have a physical green card in your possession, as it serves as proof of your status and can be required for various purposes, including traveling outside of the United States.

If you have not received your physical green card yet, I would suggest contacting the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regarding the non-delivery. They may be able to provide you with information on the status of your card and help you determine if it has been lost or delayed.

In addition, you may consider using Form I-90 to request that USCIS send out another green card if the first delivery was lost. Form I-90 is used to renew or replace a green card, and you can use it to request a replacement card if your original card was lost, stolen, or damaged.

It is important to note that if you are considering traveling abroad without a physical green card, you may face challenges re-entering the United States and may be subject to additional scrutiny. Therefore, I would advise against traveling until you have received your physical green card.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, you cannot travel abroad without a physical green card or a valid travel document such as an Advance Parole document. While your green card application may have been approved, you still need the actual green card in hand in order to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad.

If you need to travel abroad before receiving your green card, you can apply for an Advance Parole document using Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. This document will allow you to leave the United States and re-enter while your green card is being processed. However, you must have an approved Advance Parole document before leaving the United States.

It's important to note that traveling outside of the United States before receiving your green card or Advance Parole document can jeopardize your green card application, so it's always best to consult with an immigration attorney before making any travel plans.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.