Pittsburgh, PA asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: If I need to get emergency full custody of my daughter to get her out of an abusive situation, how do I go about it?

I was divorced in one county in Ohio, I live in another county in Ohio and my daughter lives in another county in Ohio different than the divorce and myself. She is in an abusive situation with her mom and her mom's family, including sexual abuse by her stepdad. I really need help and don't even know where to begin. I contacted CPS but they haven't filed anything with the courts. I keep getting tossed around saying to call this court, then no you want to call this and no again you need to call this court. I'm getting nowhere and really need help and some guidance. I need to get her out of there as soon as possible. Where do I start?

1 Lawyer Answer
Roger  Bouchard
Roger Bouchard
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can file for an emergency custody order. Generally, your motion has to state the child is in imminent danger.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.