Medina, NY asked in Sexual Harassment and Libel & Slander for New York

Q: An ex-friend made an imputation of unchastity against me. I have multiple records of harassment. How do I proceed?

An ex-friend accused me of adultery with her husband who she separated from. I have multiple text messages, and Facebook admitting to her slandering me to others as well as 3rd party sources and friends informing me of what she's said. It's my word against hers; how do I prove that I am innocent and stop any further harassment?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Diederich Jr.
Michael Diederich Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Stony Point, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I suggest you hire a lawyer to write a "cease and desist" letter to your ex-friend. The lawyer will likely inform your ex-friend that publishing defamatory statements would subject your ex-friend to liability regarding any and all damages suffered by you. And that falsely accusing someone of adultery is per se defamation.

Hopefully a letter will stop the defamation. Hiring a lawyer to commence and prosecute a defamation lawsuit on your behalf is an option, but likely a very expensive option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.