Kingwood, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: Is my employer required to pay my accrued and remaining vacation hours if I quit my job in Texas?

This is what is stated in the Employee Handbook..

"Accrued vacation will be available to each employee upon their anniversary date and must be used within

twelve (12) months after it is accrued. Employees may carry over 24 hours of accrued vacation time to the

following calendar year; however, it must be used within six months from the carry over date or the employee

will lose it. This is a use it or lose it policy and vacation may not be “paid out” to the employee. An employee

who is terminated from the company or fails to provide two-weeks notice to resign will forfeit any unused,

accrued vacation time, unless prohibited by State Law"

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No, since the policy stated in the Employee Handbook expressly provides it is use it or lose it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.