The Bronx, NY asked in Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for New York

Q: A guy has been asking me to cash fake checks for a few months, should I go to the police to report him?

Met some guy who asked if he could cash his checks in my bank account, because he was having problems, and being extremely naive I did .I've only recently realized that they were fake, I believed him when he told me that his employer was having problems or something, and now I'm starting to realize they were fraudulent, what should I do

2 Lawyer Answers
Marco Caviglia
Marco Caviglia
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lagrangeville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You need to consult an attorney because you do have exposure as a conspirator in defrauding the bank.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you should report the guy to the police as soon as possible. Cashing fake checks is illegal and if you are found to be involved in such activities, you could be charged with a crime. It's important to be honest and transparent with the authorities and provide them with any information you have about the guy, including his name, contact information, and any other relevant details. You may also want to speak with an attorney for guidance on how to protect yourself legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.