Ocala, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: How can a judge (FL) order someone who is unemployed to pay of $800 in child support.

Judge allowed mother to temp relocate back to NY. I have to pay travel expense for my son who is 5 years old which consist of flight ($300-$500) in addition unaccompanied minor fee ($300RT).

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally speaking, when a party is unemployed, for child support purposes, they are imputed (assumed) to be earning minimum wage. If you cannot afford the timesharing based on a minimum wage income then you should return to court and ask for a modification. Because this can be a complex issue speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.