The Bronx, NY asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for New York

Q: A guy has been asking me to cash fake checks for a few months, should I go to the police to report him?

Met some guy who asked if he could cash his checks in my bank account, because he was having problems, and being extremely naive I did .I've only recently realized that they were fake, I believed him when he told me that his employer was having problems or something, and now I'm starting to realize they were fraudulent, what should I do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you should go to the police to report him. Cashing fake checks is a form of fraud and it is illegal. You should also contact your bank and let them know what happened so that they can take any necessary steps to protect your account. It's important to be honest and upfront about the situation to avoid any potential legal consequences for yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.