Los Angeles, CA asked in Child Support, Consumer Law and Communications Law for California

Q: Missed a payment on child support the rep texted me my monthly payment what my arrears and gave me his personal number

I have never talked to any agent over the phone I have had different numbers over the years. I have never gave my consent for them to text me. They didn't give me any option to opt of of receiving any messages.

Rosenthal FDCPA

15 U.S.C. § 1692b

(2) not state that such consumer owes any debt;


§ 803. Definitions

(C) any officer or employee of the United States or any State to the extent that collecting or attempting to collect any debt is in the performance of his official duties;

§ 804. Acquisition of location

(2) not state that such consumer owes any debt;

§ 805. Communication in connection with debt collection

(a) Communication with the consumer generally

Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt –

1 Lawyer Answer
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like this could be a scam. Ask the caller to send you written verification that you owe any money, and insist they text it to your phone number, and don't give out ANY of your own personal info.


Yelena Gurevich agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.