Dallas, TX asked in Personal Injury and Consumer Law for Texas

Q: My insurance company mixed my personal information with a family members but didn't tell me. How can this be resolved?

I share a similar name with a grandparent and although they dont even drive, my insurance company considers them insured under the same policy. When I was injured in a car crash an adjuster created a PIP CLAIM using my grandparents identity and my medical information (combining the two). I didn't have an attorney because my insurance company alleged I was at fault. They totaled the vehicle and later subragated against the third party using the wrong identification. It's been impossible finding medical care. My insurance company didn't tell me about the identity errors or that liability was disputed until years later. My medical records and identity are seriously compromised now. I still need medical treatment that I would have already received had they informed me. How can I resolve this problem?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. A starting point could be to reach out to the claims office that originally mixed up the names and ask them to clarify their records. However, if the PIP claim was several years ago, it's possible the carrier closed the file by now. It may require some research to determine how far the mix-up in names made its way into different health care and other personal record systems. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.