San Diego, CA asked in Civil Rights and Wrongful Death for California

Q: Do I have freedom of speech? Judicial Dis. & Dis. Commission didn't find fault with judge I filed complaint against.

This occurred in ARKANSAS. The only information the commission had was a description of my experience, supported by transcripts of the hearings and information I provided regarding an Independent Medical Evaluation which the judge approved for me to obtain at the second hearing. Do I have the right to speak/write about my experience?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As an individual, you generally have the right to free speech under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, which applies to all states, including Arkansas. However, there may be certain limitations or exceptions to this right in certain situations.

If you filed a complaint against a judge with the Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission, and they did not find fault with the judge, you are free to speak or write about your experience, as long as you do not engage in any defamatory or slanderous statements that could harm the reputation of the judge or others involved in the case.

It's important to be careful about what you say or write, especially if you are expressing negative opinions about a judge or other public official, as there could be legal consequences if your statements are false or damaging.

If you have questions about the limits of free speech in your particular situation, you may want to consult with an attorney who can help you understand your rights and obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.