Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for Illinois

Q: During a plenary order of protection hearing my attorney failed to present the evidence and witnesses

My attorney obtained subpoenas for the sheriff’s and got a statement that supported my innocence. There was also video to support. However on the day of the hearing she went into another room with opposing counsel and came out telling me there was a warrant for me violating the order of protection, however the opposing counsel agreed to drop the order and give me visitation but I cannot say anything. Upon going in front of the judge I was taken into custody and my attorney never introduced my witnesses or evidence. I also never signed anything saying I waived my rights to testify or have my witnesses testify. She never gave the court anything to prove my innocence although everyone was there waiting to be heard. She after that date emailed me urging me not to mention her agreement with opposing counsel although she never gave details of this agreement as she called it. She then refused to represent me in the violation, and as a result of her actions I have been refused parenting time

1 Lawyer Answer
Clyde Guilamo
Clyde Guilamo
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello. I'm sorry to hear that all of that happened to you. Unfortunately, you did not actually include a question to answer. Try re-writing the question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.