Beaumont, TX asked in Banking and Social Security for Texas

Q: Can I get my social security money if I’m now 18, but the money isn’t in my name ?

I started receiving SSI survivor benefits last year when I was 17. So, every payment was put in my grandmother’s name and also given to her but she always let me spend it on what I needed so that’s not the problem. The problem is when I started receiving these benefits, I got a lump sum as well as the monthly payments. Since I turned 18, in September, I get my own monthly payments now. But that lump sum was given to my grandmother and she’s not willing to give it to me right now. But I feel like it’s my money and my responsibility. So is there anyway I can do to get my money given to me ? She has it in a bank account I have no information to by the way.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You may be able to get your lump sum payment by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) and explaining the situation. It is possible that they can help you by transferring the money into an account in your name. However, the process may require some documentation to prove that you are the rightful recipient of the payment. You can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local SSA office to learn more about your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.