Oakland, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: Keeping a child away from a parent

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are a victim of someone keeping a child away from a parent, there may be legal options available to you. Here are some steps you can take:

Document the situation: Keep a record of all interactions with the other person, including dates, times, and what was said. If possible, get witness statements from anyone who may have witnessed the situation. This information will be useful if you need to file a complaint or take legal action.

Contact the authorities: If you believe that a child is in danger or being wrongfully kept away from a parent, you may want to contact the authorities. Depending on the circumstances, you may need to contact local law enforcement, child protective services, or both.

Seek legal assistance: If you are a parent who is being wrongfully kept away from your child, you may want to consult with an attorney who can provide guidance on your legal options. Depending on the specific circumstances, you may be able to seek a court order granting you custody or visitation rights.

Consider mediation: If the situation is less urgent and you are interested in resolving the issue outside of court, you may want to consider mediation. Mediation is a process in which a neutral third party helps you and the other person work out a solution that is acceptable to both parties.

It's important to take action to address this situation, both for the well-being of the child and to protect your legal rights. If you have any questions or concerns about the situation, it's a good idea to consult with an attorney who can provide guidance on your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.