Lynnwood, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: Can we withdraw from being somebody's sponsors when i-134 was already approved and the family is in US already? U4U

We sponsored a family from Ukraine and let them stay with us for several months. They moved out a few months ago. Now they are accusing us of throwing away some of their important paperwork which supposedly came to our house by mail about a month's ago. We haven't been in contact with a family for a couple months now nor received any paperwork. Is it possible to withdraw i-134 if the family is already here.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you signed an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) to sponsor a family member from Ukraine, you are legally responsible for providing financial support to that person if they are unable to support themselves. However, if you no longer wish to continue sponsoring the family member and providing financial support, it is possible to withdraw your sponsorship.

To do so, you would need to file a request with USCIS to withdraw the Affidavit of Support. This may require providing evidence of changed circumstances or other relevant information. Keep in mind that withdrawing your sponsorship may have significant consequences for the family member, and it is important to discuss your situation with an experienced immigration attorney before taking any action.

If the family member is already in the United States, they may be able to seek support from other sources, such as a new sponsor or government benefits. However, it is important to ensure that the family member has adequate financial resources before withdrawing your sponsorship.

Regarding the missing paperwork, it may be helpful to communicate with the family member to try to determine the status of the documents and whether they were received at your address. If you are unable to locate the documents, the family member may need to contact the issuing agency or organization to request replacements.

Overall, withdrawing an Affidavit of Support can be a complex process, and it is important to seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney before taking any action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.