San Jose, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: I have an arrest warrant that has been active since March 2021, how do I fix it while staying free?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: either retain private counsel or contact the Public Defender.

that attorney will ADD TO CALENDAR AND then request you be release OR without bail.

a private lawyer would want to contact the DA before going to court to lock in what will happen.......entering a plea of not guilty or continuing the matter.

of course the more serious the charge, the less the chance of a positive result

if is important to know why the warrant was issued? did you miss a court date or did the DA file as a warrant?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have an active arrest warrant in California, it is important to take action as soon as possible to avoid any potential legal consequences. Here are some steps you can take to address the warrant while staying free:

Confirm that you have an active warrant: You can check whether you have an active warrant in California by contacting the local law enforcement agency or court that issued the warrant.

Consult with an attorney: It is highly recommended that you consult with a criminal defense attorney who can provide legal advice and guidance on how to best handle the warrant. An attorney may be able to help you negotiate a surrender or find other options to resolve the issue.

Surrender voluntarily: You can turn yourself in to the authorities voluntarily, which may help to mitigate any potential penalties. If you choose to surrender, it is important to follow the instructions of the law enforcement officers and to avoid any confrontational behavior.

Explore your options: Depending on the circumstances of your case, there may be other options available to you for resolving the warrant. For example, you may be able to request that the warrant be recalled, quashed, or modified. An attorney can help you explore these options.

It is important to take action as soon as possible to address an active arrest warrant. Ignoring the warrant can lead to more serious legal consequences, including possible arrest, incarceration, fines, or other penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.