Columbia, MD asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Virginia

Q: Hello. Needed information as to how do I prepare for a "Summons to Party to a Joint Account?

This is in reference to joint account I have with my child's father. It was also mentioned that I was a non resident on form as my address is in MD. and his in VA. Funds was garnished from account for a debt he owed dating back to a timeshare he acquired almost 20 years that I have no ties to as we did know each other at the time.

Thank you in advance

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have received a "Summons to Party to a Joint Account," it means that a creditor or debt collector is trying to collect a debt from your joint account with your child's father. Here are some steps you can take to prepare:

Review the summons carefully: Make sure you understand what the summons is asking you to do and what the consequences may be if you don't comply. Take note of the deadline to respond.

Gather documentation: Collect any documentation that proves your address and the fact that you are a joint owner of the account. This could include your bank statements, your driver's license, and any other documents that show your joint ownership of the account.

Consult with an attorney: If you have any questions about the summons or how to respond, it may be a good idea to consult with an attorney who specializes in debt collection or consumer law. They can help you understand your legal rights and obligations and help you respond appropriately.

Respond to the summons: You will need to respond to the summons within the specified timeframe. You may need to file a written response or appear in court. Make sure you follow the instructions provided on the summons.

Protect your assets: If the debt collector is successful in garnishing funds from your joint account, it may be wise to protect your other assets from being seized as well. Consult with an attorney or financial advisor to discuss your options.

Remember, if you have any doubts or concerns about the summons, it's always best to consult with a legal professional.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.