Virginia Banking Questions & Answers

Q: I ordered something worth $110 online through a website from someone in Austrailia and I'm living in the USA. How can.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, International Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 20, 2019
Timur Akpinar's answer
Contact the bank or institution issuing the card to see if they have provisions for resolving or adjudicating disputes.

Tim Akpinar

Q: Can a bank sue me for overdraft charges from November 2010? Received a phone call yesterday saying I will be served.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 22, 2019
Timothy R Johnson's answer
They can sue you, but you will probably maintain a strong defense that the claim is past the statute of limitations, unless you acknowledged the debt on the phone call.

Q: What are my options? My bank accessed an account that I am not listed on and processed my reguested transactions.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Virginia on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
F. Paul Maloof's answer
This Is a criminal law matter which I do not handle. Sorry.

Q: I am issued a bad check for 40.000 what steps I need to take and which court I need to go

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Collections for Virginia on
Answered on Aug 9, 2018
F. Paul Maloof's answer
If you mean: $40,000 you should contact the FBI.

Q: Put down deposit on new car and opened a loan for the remaining balance. Loan doesn't exist according to bank (VA).

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 20, 2017
F. Paul Maloof's answer
You need to go back to the auto dealer and find out what is the cause of the problem. You can also file a complaint against the dealer with the Virginia DMV.

Q: My car was repossessed. My finance company will not allow me to pay the prior amount due to reinstate. How do I resolve?

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
F. Paul Maloof's answer
You have a right to sue the finance company for breach of your contract and violating your rights. You can also call the office of the Attorney General for Virginia and file a complaint.

Q: Is a "bank guarantee" necessary to sell a bar of gold in Ghana?

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Consumer Law and International Law for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 20, 2017
Richard Sternberg's answer
She would be wise to consult a lawyer in Ghana before proceedings. May countries have at many times in history restricted the sale of gold, both to currency security and for fraud prevention. It is not at all unimaginable that Ghana retains such a legal structure. She might prefer to sell the gold in places like the US, were no guarantee is required. She is required to report any transaction(s) in gold with a value in excess of $10,000, including importing or exporting from the country. Once...

Q: Question about a Will of a Deceased person and who the money goes to?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Estate Planning, Family Law and Banking for Virginia on
Answered on Oct 26, 2017
Kenneth V Zichi's answer
She can ask, but no bank that I know of would allow such a procedure for anything other than a VERY small account (or one that has a beneficiary named). Probate of some sort is usually necessary in such circumstances.

Consult with a local probate attorney as there are often 'simplified' forms of probate available even if there is no beneficiary named. This highlights the importance of proper planning as much of this can be avoided if things are structured properly!

-- This...

Q: If my mother named me as beneficiary on all her life insurance policies, is that money part of her estate re: debts due?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking, Collections and Probate for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 15, 2017
Ben F Meek III's answer
The proceeds of the life insurance policies should pass to the beneficiaries outside of the probate estate. Likewise the jointly owned bank accounts, which should pass outside of probate to the surviving owners of the accounts. The credit card debt can reach assets of the Probate estate, which appears from your question to be only the savings account funds. This assumes no complications or other assets you haven't mentioned. It appears you can pay the $1000 to your mom's creditors and that it...

Q: Can i cash a old bounce check

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 26, 2011
Paul A. Prados' answer
You may cash the check, but you are likely to be hit with more returned check fees. Most banks will prohibit you form depositing a bounced check after a certain number of times.

It is generally better to ask for a new check from the party who did not pay.

Q: Our minor child inherited $7990. Ck was written to husband & self for support & care of child. Bank won't take?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 26, 2011
Paul A. Prados' answer
Try again or try to deposit in another bank. Those are your fast and easier answers. Trying to force your financial institution to do something it does not want to do will leave you frustrated, and with expensive and unlikely successful remedies in court.

You might also ask the bank that issued the checks to do an electronic transfer or other form of payment without the use of a physical check.

Q: My money order went through the laundry and is partially damaged. Can I still deposit it?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 17, 2011
Paul A. Prados' answer
A money order is a contractual agreement to pay made with a third party. They likely will honor it as long as it is not severely damaged. You may want to go to a location of the issuer of the money order and see if they will issue you a new one so you can deposit it without a problem.

Q: I have a problem with a construction loan that we received from a bank. Bank refuses to change into permanent loan.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 17, 2011
Paul A. Prados' answer
The bank does not have to do anything more than what is stated in the terms of your construction loan.

You need to try to get the loan refinanced through other parties, before the construction loan becomes due in total, or the interest from the construction loan drives you into foreclosure.

Q: Can banks charge for producing documents for a subpoena?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 17, 2011
Paul A. Prados' answer
Absolutely. Subpoena recipients are allowed to charge reasonable fees, when responding to a subpoena issued in a Virginia court.

You could see time costs for research and copying, and a per page cost for the physical copies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.