Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Virginia Banking Questions & Answers
4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Banking for Virginia on
Q: Can Chase repo vehicle if credit card defaults, and car loan is paid each month?

I live in VA and have a Chase credit card and a Chase vehicle loan. If I default on my credit card, but remain up to date with my vehicle loan, can they repo the vehicle?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 22, 2020

Depends on whether there is a wraparound security interest in the car tied to the credit card.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: A collection agency is trying to collect a debt from 11 years ago with Wachovia bank.Wachovia said it’s written off

I have phone recordings of both collections and bank. Wachovia says they stopped collections 2-3 years ago of statute of limitations.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Apr 23, 2020

If the origin of the debt was in Virginia and was connected to a written agreement, there is a 5 year statute of limitations that applies to the debt. The Statute of Limitations defense is an affirmative defense so it must be raised after a lawsuit is filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Virginia on
Q: Nat. company’s website refers to a hired person’s “bio” & includes false claim of starting event that’s yours. Sue comp?

Their is the local branch that the person was hired but the person works all over the country with the large nat. company. It is still active on the website. I know they scrubbed social media for everything/ anything when he hired, but the liar wrote this bit and they missed it. Can I file a cease... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Feb 16, 2020

Many of the answers to your questions depend on the particular facts that are involved in your case. You should definitely confer with a lawyer and get a formal opinion.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking and White Collar Crime for Virginia on
Q: What probable cause is needed to arrest a medical provider for credit card fraud? What about criteria for conviction?

Need guidance on arrest for credit card fraud that I did not commit. I have a clean record and work as a licensed therapist. I own a solo private practice in VA. Last week, I was unexpectedly arrested at home. I was handcuffed in my kitchen and escorted to the police car in the street (blocking... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 16, 2019

Great story, great defenses. Tell everything to a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Q: Does Wells Fargo have a right to make a list of the contents of my deceased Uncles box when I have limited access

It took a lot of effort on my part to get them to agree to limited access - like I showed them the VA law. They are now claiming it is their bank policy to make a list of the contents. I think they can observe but privacy dictates that they can not see the contents.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 29, 2019

Now that you have "limited access" the bank has every right to take an inventory of the contents of your deceased uncle's safe deposit box--if for no other reason that to be able to defend itself if there ever is a claim filed against the bank.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: dealing with USAA and identity theft & they continue to allow our account to be breached despite our daily calls. HELP

They’ve sent checks & debit cards to other addresses despite our contact with their fraud department. We haven’t even been reimbursed yet for our checking & savings being wiped clean. While we were on the phone Friday locking down the accounts we watched as someone transferred our... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 9, 2019

This sounds like some sort of an insider electronic hacking situation. If the amount of money is worth it, try hiring a lawyer to take up the job of fighting with the USAA bureaucracy instead of you having to do it. The first order of business would be to move all the money you still have at USAA... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, International Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: I ordered something worth $110 online through a website from someone in Austrailia and I'm living in the USA. How can.

How can I get my money back?

I ordered it with my debit card, and the seller has not responded it's been 2 months since I ordered they didn't respond to my emails.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 20, 2019

Contact the bank or institution issuing the card to see if they have provisions for resolving or adjudicating disputes.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Virginia on
Q: Can a bank sue me for overdraft charges from November 2010? Received a phone call yesterday saying I will be served.

When I called back the man was not nice and said once papers are served on January 23, 2019 he can no longer help me. That today payment would be $415 (on a $100 overdraft fee) if I go to court payment would be $1245 with court fees. I googled the company EDR in Maryland but couyfind any... Read more »

Timothy R Johnson
Timothy R Johnson answered on Jan 22, 2019

They can sue you, but you will probably maintain a strong defense that the claim is past the statute of limitations, unless you acknowledged the debt on the phone call.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Virginia on
Q: What are my options? My bank accessed an account that I am not listed on and processed my reguested transactions.

24 hours later, the police came to my house and arrested me. Ripped from my house, humiliated, hurt and Incarcerated for 5 days because a bank employee did not verify the proper authorized person or people listed on the account. Since I did not violate any laws but I was arrested and charged, can I... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Sep 23, 2018

This Is a criminal law matter which I do not handle. Sorry.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Collections for Virginia on
Q: I am issued a bad check for 40.000 what steps I need to take and which court I need to go
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Aug 9, 2018

If you mean: $40,000 you should contact the FBI.

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Virginia on
Q: Put down deposit on new car and opened a loan for the remaining balance. Loan doesn't exist according to bank (VA).

We purchased a used 2017 SUV for just under $18,000. We put a $4,000 deposit down and financed the roughly $14,000 remainder. We were pre-approved through Capital One's auto loan program. The dealership ran our pre-approval and finalized our loan. Our first payment is supposed to be due the... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Dec 20, 2017

You need to go back to the auto dealer and find out what is the cause of the problem. You can also file a complaint against the dealer with the Virginia DMV.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Virginia on
Q: My car was repossessed. My finance company will not allow me to pay the prior amount due to reinstate. How do I resolve?
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Nov 27, 2017

You have a right to sue the finance company for breach of your contract and violating your rights. You can also call the office of the Attorney General for Virginia and file a complaint.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Consumer Law and International Law for Virginia on
Q: Is a "bank guarantee" necessary to sell a bar of gold in Ghana?

A lady wants to sell a bar of gold in country of Ghana.She is informed she needs a "bank guarantee" to sell them.She says she has to pay $4000 dollars to gain access to buyers of the gold. Is this valid or not?

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Nov 20, 2017

She would be wise to consult a lawyer in Ghana before proceedings. May countries have at many times in history restricted the sale of gold, both to currency security and for fraud prevention. It is not at all unimaginable that Ghana retains such a legal structure. She might prefer to sell the gold... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Estate Planning, Family Law and Banking for Virginia on
Q: Question about a Will of a Deceased person and who the money goes to?

If the Will of a deceased person states that his wife gets everything, can the wife take the will to the bank and ask banker to give all the deceased persons money from his sole owner account?

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Oct 26, 2017

She can ask, but no bank that I know of would allow such a procedure for anything other than a VERY small account (or one that has a beneficiary named). Probate of some sort is usually necessary in such circumstances.

Consult with a local probate attorney as there are often...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking, Collections and Probate for Virginia on
Q: If my mother named me as beneficiary on all her life insurance policies, is that money part of her estate re: debts due?

Firstly, we live in the state of Virginia and I appreciate anyone's professional time and counsel. My mother had numerous life insurance policies ranging from $1,000 to 10,000 and has me named as the sole beneficiary on all policies. She had no will and her house and land have been in mine... Read more »

Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III answered on Jan 15, 2017

The proceeds of the life insurance policies should pass to the beneficiaries outside of the probate estate. Likewise the jointly owned bank accounts, which should pass outside of probate to the surviving owners of the accounts. The credit card debt can reach assets of the Probate estate, which... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Q: Can i cash a old bounce check
Paul A. Prados
Paul A. Prados answered on Jan 26, 2011

You may cash the check, but you are likely to be hit with more returned check fees. Most banks will prohibit you form depositing a bounced check after a certain number of times.

It is generally better to ask for a new check from the party who did not pay.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Q: Our minor child inherited $7990. Ck was written to husband & self for support & care of child. Bank won't take?

They said payee was not on check, even though buth mine and husband's names are on check and on account. They returned deposit and withdrew money from account, after expenditures had been made against cleared deposit on child's behalf. What do we do? Checks have been reissued to us by... Read more »

Paul A. Prados
Paul A. Prados answered on Jan 26, 2011

Try again or try to deposit in another bank. Those are your fast and easier answers. Trying to force your financial institution to do something it does not want to do will leave you frustrated, and with expensive and unlikely successful remedies in court.

You might also ask the bank that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Q: My money order went through the laundry and is partially damaged. Can I still deposit it?
Paul A. Prados
Paul A. Prados answered on Jan 17, 2011

A money order is a contractual agreement to pay made with a third party. They likely will honor it as long as it is not severely damaged. You may want to go to a location of the issuer of the money order and see if they will issue you a new one so you can deposit it without a problem.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Q: I have a problem with a construction loan that we received from a bank. Bank refuses to change into permanent loan.
Paul A. Prados
Paul A. Prados answered on Jan 17, 2011

The bank does not have to do anything more than what is stated in the terms of your construction loan.

You need to try to get the loan refinanced through other parties, before the construction loan becomes due in total, or the interest from the construction loan drives you into foreclosure.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Virginia on
Q: Can banks charge for producing documents for a subpoena?
Paul A. Prados
Paul A. Prados answered on Jan 17, 2011

Absolutely. Subpoena recipients are allowed to charge reasonable fees, when responding to a subpoena issued in a Virginia court.

You could see time costs for research and copying, and a per page cost for the physical copies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.