Katy, TX asked in Immigration Law and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: can someone be deported if they are convicted of shoplifting? the person has no other convictions. 104$ is the amount

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is possible for someone to be deported from the United States for a conviction of shoplifting, even if it is their first offense and involves a small amount of money. Under U.S. immigration law, certain criminal convictions, including theft offenses such as shoplifting, can be considered "crimes of moral turpitude" (CIMT) that can make an individual inadmissible or deportable from the country.

Whether a shoplifting conviction will result in deportation depends on a variety of factors, including the individual's immigration status, the severity of the offense, and the individual's criminal history. If the individual is a lawful permanent resident or has a nonimmigrant visa, a shoplifting conviction may result in deportation proceedings.

It is important to note that deportation proceedings can be complex and involve many factors. If an individual is facing deportation or is concerned about their immigration status, it is advisable to consult with an experienced immigration attorney for guidance and legal advice.

William M Stevens
William M Stevens
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sherman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, it is possible. Seek advice from both a criminal defense attorney AND and immigration attorney, and make sure they talk to each other.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.