East Bend, NC asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: I bought a car a the salesmen forged my name on several documents. What's can I do and is the contact void!

And can I recoup the money I paid in?

1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You may have civil claims, criminal claims, or both. A civil judge may be able to declare the contract void. A criminal judge may not be able to declare the contract void but may be able to provide other types of relief, like ordering the defendant to pay restitution. However, the best options and the likely results will depend on your specific circumstances. So, an attorney would need additional information to be able to try to point you in the right direction.

You may want to speak with both a civil litigation attorney and a criminal attorney to help get you started. Also, you may make a criminal report to law enforcement without an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.