Torrance, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: I'm eligible to serve DV-100 RO (Restraining Order)?

The protected person is our 3yo child and restrained person is my wife. I filed as "through guardian ad litem by" on child name. In that case, can I serve DV-100 to wife? or I need still a 3rd party to do that? Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, a person can file for a restraining order against someone who has abused or threatened them or their child. The restraining order can include provisions that prohibit the restrained person from contacting or coming near the protected person or child.

In your case, if you filed the restraining order on behalf of your child as the guardian ad litem, you may be able to serve the DV-100 on your wife yourself. However, it's recommended that you consult with an attorney or a legal aid organization to ensure that you are following the proper procedures and requirements for serving a restraining order in California.

It's important to note that serving a restraining order can be a complex legal process, and it's important to ensure that it's done properly to ensure the safety of the protected person and comply with California law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.