Woodbridge, VA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Virginia

Q: When is a guardian at litem assigned to a custody case? Can I do mediation outside of court without a GAL?

Paternity has not yet been established but if he is found to be the father, he has also filed for custody and visitation. He has stated that he would like to do mediation. I would like to do mediation but outside of court with the other parent and a lawyer. Would a GAL be appointed in this situation? Even if both parents are in agreement? If not, when would a GAL be required?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In a legal proceeding involving custody and/or visitation, a guardian ad litem can be appointed by the court to represent the interests of the child in the event that the parents do not adequately represent the interests of the child. This almost always occurs when there are allegations of abuse or neglect, or a child in need of social services. Typically, the appointment is entered by the court upon the request of either parent, or an interested party.

Mediation is ordered in almost every custody or visitation proceeding in Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, at a relatively low cost to the parties.

Any person interested in a custody or visitation proceeding in Virginia should consult with an experienced Virginia family law lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.