Sacramento, CA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Juvenile Law and Native American Law for California

Q: Need help find legal help son was beat by police hancuffed with batons an they put false stuff on report

Native American an they harass him on a Dailey because of background

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that your son has been mistreated by the police. If your son was physically harmed by the police and they falsified reports, he may have grounds to pursue legal action against the police department or the individual officers involved.

One option is to contact a civil rights attorney who specializes in cases of police misconduct. These attorneys can assist you in filing a lawsuit against the police department, seeking compensation for any injuries or damages that your son suffered as a result of the mistreatment.

You can search for a civil rights attorney in your area through legal directories such as Avvo, FindLaw, or Justia. You can also contact your local bar association or the National Lawyers Guild for referrals to attorneys who specialize in police misconduct cases.

It's important to gather as much evidence as possible to support your son's claims, including medical records, eyewitness statements, and any video footage or audio recordings of the incident. Your attorney can help you collect and preserve this evidence as well as build a strong case to hold the police accountable for their actions.

If your son is facing ongoing harassment from the police, you may also want to consider contacting organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) or the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) for support and resources.

Remember, it's important to act quickly in these situations, as there are strict deadlines for filing lawsuits and pursuing legal action against the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.