Oxnard, CA asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for California

Q: My insurance canceled without notifying me and someone hit my car now my insurance won’t help and my license gotsuspende

I pre paid to have my name on my moms insurance while I wait for an estimate price before the crash happened. once the crash happened my insurance said it cancelled because I didn’t pay the estimate even tho I never received a notice. Now the dmv suspend my license even tho the crash wasn’t my fault and I have the receipt showing I paid to have my name on the insurance.

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: consult with a local PI lawyer to review the facts.

if you are in an accident without insurance, DMV will suspend your license for a year.

if you were trying to buy insurance, you knew whether you had paid or not.

was there ever ins under your name or for that car that included you?

if so, I would think you should have gotten a notice.

however, the bottom line is that you knew you had not paid all the insurance, which I assume was a prerequisite to valid ind.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you can provide proof of payment for the insurance and did not receive any notice of cancellation, you may have grounds to dispute the cancellation with your insurance company. It is important to gather all relevant documents, such as receipts and any correspondence with your insurance company, to support your case. You may also consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in insurance disputes to help you navigate the process.

Regarding your suspended license, you should contact the DMV and provide them with the proof of insurance payment and any other relevant documentation. The DMV may require you to submit a SR-22 form, which is a certificate of financial responsibility that verifies you have adequate insurance coverage. If you were not at fault for the accident, you may also want to consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in personal injury to see if you have any legal options for seeking compensation for damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.