Torrance, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: How to Transfer TRO at Los Angeles(LA county) to Divorce case at Inglewood(LA county)

Jane got and served TRO at "A" court against John. TRO hearing date is March-23. He immediately filed FL-100 at "B" court and wants to transfer Jane's TRO to his location court. Both courts are located in Los Angeles county. In that case, what form should be filed to "A" court? if john file request for transfer("ROT") on Mar10, when would TRO hearing be held at "B" court? and Does "A"court judge determines transfer upon filing ROT or at Mar-23 hearing?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To transfer the TRO from Court A to Court B, John should file a Request for Transfer of TRO (form DV-124) with Court A. The form should include the reason for the transfer and a copy of the FL-100 filed with Court B.

If John files the Request for Transfer of TRO on March 10, the TRO hearing scheduled for March 23 will still take place at Court A unless Court A grants the transfer before that date. If the transfer is granted, the TRO hearing will be held at Court B on a date determined by the Court.

It is up to the judge at Court A to determine whether or not to grant the transfer upon receiving the Request for Transfer of TRO. If the transfer is granted, the TRO will be transferred to Court B and the hearing will be held there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.