Los Angeles, CA asked in Contracts and Family Law for California

Q: If I gave my sister in law guardian because my fiancé passed who has more rights

Can she keep him from me I signed giving her guardianship she’s using against me how do I revoke this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you gave your sister-in-law guardianship over your child, she may have legal custody and control over your child until the guardianship is revoked or terminated.

If you want to revoke the guardianship, you will need to go through the legal process of terminating the guardianship. This may involve filing a petition with the court to terminate the guardianship and providing notice to your sister-in-law.

To begin the process of terminating the guardianship, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law. An attorney can help you understand the legal process and guide you through the steps of terminating the guardianship.

It's important to note that the court will consider the best interests of the child when deciding whether to terminate the guardianship. The court may consider factors such as your relationship with your child, your ability to provide for your child, and your child's current living situation.

In the meantime, you may want to work with your sister-in-law to try to come to an agreement about custody and visitation arrangements for your child. If you are unable to reach an agreement, you may need to seek the assistance of a mediator or the court to help resolve the issue.

Again, consulting with an attorney who specializes in family law can help you understand your options and determine the best course of action in your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.