Torrance, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: How to serve DV-100 and FL-260 to Wife in the courtroom?

I don't know her whereabouts, but by chance, I'm going to meet her in the courtroom a week later via Bailiff. Do I have provide for the sheriff with Form DV-200 and FL-115 filled out with his sign section blank?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you will be seeing your wife in court and you want to serve her with the DV-100 and FL-260 forms, you may be able to do so with the help of the court bailiff or a process server. Here are the general steps you should follow:

Obtain copies of the forms: You will need to obtain copies of the DV-100 and FL-260 forms. You can obtain these forms from the court clerk's office or from the California Courts website.

Fill out the forms: Fill out the forms as completely and accurately as possible. Be sure to sign your name in the appropriate section.

Bring the forms to court: Bring the completed forms with you to court. You may want to make several copies of each form, in case you need to serve additional parties.

Ask the bailiff for assistance: When you arrive in court, explain to the bailiff that you need to serve the forms on your wife. The bailiff may be able to assist you by serving the forms on your behalf or by providing you with the contact information for a process server.

Provide additional documents if necessary: If you are required to provide additional documents, such as the DV-200 or FL-115 forms, provide these to the bailiff or process server as well.

File proof of service: Once the forms have been served, file proof of service with the court. This can be done by completing a Proof of Service form and filing it with the court clerk's office.

It's important to note that serving legal documents can be a complex process, and it's always a good idea to consult with an attorney who can guide you through the process and ensure that your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.